US Open Cup Recap

Before this week’s match, Siege found themselves looking up at the top four of the Bay State Soccer League (BSSL) table after failing to gain any points in their match against the Valeo FC U20s. Siege played a dominant match of soccer, but failed to convert any chances and instead saw the opponent secure a 1-0 victory.

Yesterday, Siege were able to take a break from league play to focus on the US Open Cup. The tournament is the oldest soccer cup competition in the country, as it is beginning it’s 105th year of existence. With a $300,000 prize and prestige on the line, the Siege entered the Cup’s qualifiers against league rival Kendall Wanderers.

This year, the Siege faced the Wanderers to open the 2018 BSSL campaign. That day, Siege secured 2-0 in front of a home crowd in East Boston, MA. Siege looked to carry that past momentum into the match yesterday. Unfortunately, the Wanderers secured their revenge, defeating the Siege 2 (9) - 2 (8) in penalties.

The beginning of the match saw Kendall Wanderers take a dominant stance by winning the possession battle and earning four first half corner kicks. It took Siege until the 20th minute to hit back, securing their own corner kick, and beginning to hold a semblance of prolonged possession. It took until the 32nd minute for Siege to create their first chance on goal, a shot by forward Dennis Torres. Four minutes later, Joao Bosco Godeiro created the Siege’s second shot on goal, forcing an awkward save.

Early in the second half, both squads made substitutions which saw the match explode with pace. Play was focused on the wings, with both Siege and Wanderers creating equal chances - but neither could convert. The match then went into thirty minutes of extra time. In the 97th minute, the Wanderers earned a corner which found the back of the net. Things progressively worsened for Siege when in the 110th minute, Kendall doubled their lead.

The Siege did not back down however, and showed incredible resilience when JJ Davis scored in the 112th minute to cut Kendall’s lead in half. Just four minutes later, the comeback was complete following a goal line scramble from a deserved free kick scored by Hugo Erazo. At the end of 120 minutes, the match remained tied, and the match went to penalties.

After the first six rounds, both squads remained perfect. Then in the seventh round, both clubs could not convert their chances. It took until the tenth round to find a winner once Mario Martinez’s shot was saved by Kendall’s goalkeeper, and the Wanderers converted directly after.

The boys will look to rebound September 23, as they return to league play and face fourth placed Coastal United FC. United sit one place above the Siege in the BSSL Division 3 table. A win tomorrow would see Boston Siege FC jump up to fourth, only two spots from possible promotion to Division 2. This will be the first matchup of the year between the two. Last week, Coastal United FC mirrored Siege, and were unable to secure any points in their home match against 2nd placed Lusitana. United sit just five points back of possible promotion.

Game notes by Assistant GM Anthony Giallongo